A whole batch of random links this week covering everything from a crazily obese woman with a weight gain goal through to a super product review from Eric Cressey.
- Donna Simpson weighs 600 lbs and she is purposefully trying to eat her way to weighing 1,000 lbs. Her food bills get covered by the money she makes from streaming videos of her eating and she claims to be “healthy and happy”. If she’s happy then good for her, but can she really claim to be healthy? It’s truly terrifying.
- I was thoroughly amused to read about how to behave when cycling and another cyclist is hurt. Almost more amusing than the surprisingly good insights into what men or women should say depending on the sex of the injured party, was the complete blank that the (male) author drew on what female cyclists should say to other female cyclists.
- I liked the article on Zen to Fitness with some exercises that can be done with a swiss ball. We’ve got a couple of swiss balls but I don’t really get maximum use out of them so I’m intrigued by these sensible suggestions of things I could do with them.
- A recent study has shown that women who walked for two or more hours a week or who walked at a brisk pace had a lower risk of stroke than women who didn’t walk. This is great news for all of us who get in plenty of walking and gentle cardio as we go about our daily lives and is something that older women, who are previously unaccustomed to doing much exercise but who are concerned about the risk of strokes, can easily incorporate into their lives. Two hours is really not that much when you think about it.
- The lynx grips that Eric Cressey brought to our attention a few weeks ago look really interesting. Ok, so he’s declared an interest in the success of the company who make them, but he’s done a really good job of selling the idea to me as well. I think we’re going to have to check them out soon – it’s getting too hot to workout with gloves on now.
- If you like looking good while you are out and about on your bicycle and you are tired of buying your cycle clothes from the men’s ranges (which rarely fit the female figure properly), then you could do worse than to check out the new women’s range from Rapha.
- Would you like a biscuit with your tea? If so, how does this mug strike you as the perfect invention?
- I’m a bit of a Victoria Pendleton fan. For those who don’t know who she is, she’s one of the incredibly successful women on Team GB, our medal winning GB cycle team. I’m not a huge fan of her latest marketing deal with Hovis, the bread producers, but she does look superb in the photos where she is dressed up as Audrey Hepburn from the film Breakfast at Tiffany’s!
- I’ve written before about my belief that there aren’t as many gender differences in sports (in particular in reference to how we train different individuals) so I was fascinated to read a technical article by the Science of Sport team, exploring the arguments about abolishing gender categories in sports. It’s well worth a read.
Would you like to be a Fitness Model? If so, Mistress Krista brought our attention to a video about what would be involved with this (frighteningly strenuous) career choice. I’m not sure I’m cut out for such things – I’ll stick with trying to look attractive in the mirror for my own (and Chris’s) benefit instead.
Time to put my feet up and enjoy the weekend. I might look into getting some lynx grips as well while I’m about it.