This was a revelatory week for my hip thrusts. I remembered that I needed to breathe properly during my hip thrusting which was something I’d completely forgotten about.
Of course that’s not to say that I wasn’t breathing, but I was failing to breathe in a way that complimented the lifting. This time I breathed out on the thrust up and in on the way back down. The subsequent force I could put through each thrust and the protection on my back meant that my form was much better, the strength all came from my glutes and the weight felt much lighter than usual.
This week’s lesson is to remember to breathe!
Plan and results for last week
Workout 1: (Monday)
- Back squat: 78kg – 6×2 – this was starting to feel heavy again. I’m going to stick with this weight and increase the number of sets for a few weeks to get used to it.
- Concept 2 intervals: 5x30s (30s rest) – 1.55.9, 1.55.9, 1.56.4, 1.58.7, 2.00.5 – I started off slightly slower but it was still too fast for 5 matching intervals. Ho hum. I’ll aim for a first interval at about 1.56.5 or 1.57.0 next week.
Workout 2: (Thursday) – all completed as planned
- RDL: 103kg – 1×2, 6×1
- Hip thrusts: 92kg – 5×9 (30s rest)
Plan for this week
- Back squat: 78kg – 7×2
- Concept 2 intervals: 5x30s (30s rest)
- RDL: 103kg – 2×2, 4×1
- Hip thrusts: 92kg – 5×10 (30s rest)