Another recipe that Mum cooked for me that worked perfectly. It came from one of her fish recipe books but unfortunately I don’t know which.
It’s really tasty and don’t feel the need to skimp on the cornichons – we could barely taste them and could probably have done with a bit more of them.
Ingredients (serves 4):
4 plaice fillets (about 225g each)
Juice of ½ lemon
4 eggs, hard-boiled and finely chopped
4 cornichons or small gherkins, finely chopped
2 tbsp fresh dill, chopped (or 1 tbsp dried dill)
- Preheat a grill at medium heat. Grease a baking sheet with butter or oil and put the fish fillets skin-side down on the baking sheet.
- Melt the butter in a saucepan over a low heat, remove from the heat and brush a little of the butter over the fish on the baking sheet. Retain the remaining butter to make the sauce later.
- Place the fish under the grill and cook for 8 minutes without turning, until the flesh flakes easily.
- Just before the fish is finished, add the lemon juice, eggs, cornichons and dill to the butter and heat gently for a couple of minutes, mixing together.
- With a fish slice, transfer the fish to warm serving plates (fish goes cold really quickly), spoon over the sauce and serve up immediately.