Chris sat in on my rowing this week and gave me some extra coaching cues that I’d not had before. It made a huge amount of difference. Thanks to my overly-rusty physics I hadn’t properly worked out the best way to work the flywheel.
On the first stroke I had been pulling really hard. Since the flywheel starts from nothing I was just wasting my energy by fighting a static flywheel, leaving nothing for later strokes, especially once I was tired on the later intervals. This time, by pulling a bit more gently and consistently on the first stroke I was able to then really focus on the later strokes and have the energy to get a far more consistent set of intervals.
I’ll be trying it without Chris next week so we’ll have to see if I’m as good without him.
Plan and results for last week
Workout 1: (Monday) – all completed as planned
- Back squat: 78kg – 8×2
- Concept 2 intervals: 5x30s (30s rest) – 1.59.9, 2.00.4, 2.00.5, 1.59.7, 1.59.8
Workout 2: (Thursday) – all completed as planned
- RDL: 103kg – 3×2, 2×1
- Hip thrusts: 94kg – 5×6 (30s rest)
Plan for this week
- Back squat: 79kg – 4×2 (planning to build up to 8×2 with this and then add 1kg again)
- Concept 2 intervals: 5x30s (30s rest)
- RDL: 103kg – 4×2
- Hip thrusts: 94kg – 5×7 (30s rest)