I was having an amazing week last week. I did my first workout early on – I had a big block of free time on Sunday so did my first workout a day earlier than usual. After doing my second workout on Wednesday I felt really strong and powerful on Friday so decided to do a bonus workout.
There was a bit of a problem with the workout. Humorous in hindsight, but … well … you can read about it below!
Plan and results for last week
Workout 1: (Sunday)
- Back squat: 79kg – 4×2 – I felt amazing so I decided to do an extra set, finishing up with 5×2 instead. Excellent start!
- Concept 2 intervals: 5x30s (30s rest) – 2.00.1, 1.59.6, 2.00.7, 2.00.5, 2.01.4 – I was completely done for by the end of the fourth interval
Workout 2: (Wednesday) – all completed as planned
- RDL: 103kg – 4×2
- Hip thrusts: 94kg – 5×7 (30s rest)
Workout 3: (Friday) – BONUS WORKOUT!
- Back squat: 79kg – 6×2 – So this was the plan – add a set onto my last squat workout. However there was a bit of a problem. I happily did 6×2 thinking it felt great. Took all the plates off the bar and put them away. Then I realised – I’d got my calculations with all the little plates wrong and just done 6×2 with 77kg. Since I still felt pretty good I re-racked the bar with 79kg and proceeded to start again. Crazy? Probably. I actually made it through 5 sets before I had to call it, so I completed an identical workout to before… plus 6 sets with 2kg less as a “warm up”.
- Concept 2 intervals: 5x30s (30s rest) – 1.59.8, 2.00.6, 2.04.0, 2.01.9 – Chris came and sat in with me. After 4 sets he made me stop since I was pushing my hardest and nothing was coming out. All that squatting had fried me and there was nothing left to give.
Plan for this week
- Back squat: 79kg – 6×2 – with the right weight this time
- Concept 2 intervals: 5x30s (30s rest)
- RDL: 104kg – 8×1
- Hip thrusts: 94kg – 5×8 (30s rest)