Despite being away for a chunk in the middle of the week I managed both workouts. It’s not hard really when there are only two workouts to do though I was sorry to miss out on the rowing. This was the end of the two week cycle on the main squats so I feel like I’ve got a good shot at getting the weights right next time round.
I’m actually going to be away next week on a training course being held in a school where there are no sport facilities available. I’ve included my workouts for next week as normal below as I might manage to get one in at the start or end of the week but I’m not anticipating anything.
I should probably note here that the purpose of the first heavy squat on each workout is to maintain my heavy skills and strength so each week the aim will only be to lift the same as, or a fraction higher than, the previous workout depending on how I feel when I go into the gym that day.
Results for last week
Workout 1: (Sunday)
- Back squat: 79kg – 1×2 (this should be easy since I’ve been doing sets of two reps with this weight) – well I wouldn’t say this was easy but it was achievable. I wasn’t that happy with my form though since I didn’t quite get fully to depth on the second rep.
- Back squat: 56kg – 1x max rep effort (minimum 11 reps) – 11 reps
- RDL: 85kg, 3×5 – achieved and I think this really is the right weight. After the squats it is tough.
- Assisted glute-ham raises: Blue band support & one full yellow sling, 3×6 – Yes, this is definitely the right assistance combination for me at the moment.
- Concept 2 intervals: 8x30s (60s rest) – target 1.59.4 – I didn’t manage these this week.
- Back squat: 80kg – 1×1 – surprisingly easy. This can afford to go up at least 1kg, possibly 2kg.
- Back squat: 56kg – 1x max rep effort (minimum 12 reps) – 12 reps
- Hip thrusts: 100kg rest-pause method (10s rest) – the weight is still too low – total reps of 19 grouped as 9,6,4.
- Assisted glute-ham raises: Blue band support & one full yellow sling, 3×7 – I got these but definitely tough.
Plan for this week
- Back squat: 70kg – 1×4 (or 71kg – no more than this given how hard 70kg felt the other week)
- Back squat: 57kg – 1x max rep effort (minimum 8 reps)
- RDL: 85kg 3×6
- Assisted glute-ham raises: Blue band support & one full yellow sling, 3×8
- Concept 2 intervals: 5x30s (60s rest) – target 1.59.4
- Back squat: 76kg – 1×3 (if I’m feeling strong – I need to at least match 74kg from last time, but it felt easy then)
- Back squat: 57kg – 1x max rep effort (minimum 9 reps)
- Hip thrusts: 105kg rest-pause method (10s rest)
- Assisted glute-ham raises: Blue band support & one full yellow sling + half black sling, 3×4