Have you noticed how my posts are getting shorter and there hasn’t been an in-between post for months? I’m afraid the new project is taking all my attention at the moment and will continue to do so for several weeks yet, but never fear. I’ve not forgotten the world of Not Just a Man’s World.
I have a host of half-written posts on topics of all varieties – some exciting studies I’ve seen, updates on other projects like my hair and so on. They’re all just waiting for the perfect final touches (or final halves) and, one day, they will be completed.
In the meantime, I hope you’ll forgive me if I focus on the new project. I’ll tell you all about it once it’s further along.
Results for last week
Workout 1: (Monday)
- Back squat: 83kg – 1×1 (or at least match 81kg) – I did it, it felt easy and Chris watched it and said “You’re a good 5kg short of your 1 rep max”! And that’s with a load of fat loss going on at the same time…
- Back squat: 59kg – 1x max rep effort (minimum 8 reps) – so for my first effort with this weight I got out 10 reps. Not bad for a first time though it didn’t leave me looking forward to Friday.
- Hip thrusts: 120kg rest-pause method (10s rest) – finally I’ve hit my limit and have found a weight to work with. The reps were not always to full extension, they hurt a lot and in total I only pushed out 11 reps (6,3,2), one short of the total to put the weight up, so I’ve got a second chance next week to get the form tidier.
- Assisted glute-ham raises: Blue band support & full yellow and black slings, 3×5 – this felt easier than four reps last week but still pretty awful.
Mid-week rowing: (Wednesday)
- Concept 2 intervals: 8x30s (60s rest) – target 1.59.5 – there’s been some weight loss going on for the last couple of weeks and it is impacting my rowing starts. However that’s not going to stop me pushing myself to the limit (even if it did mean blowing up an interval short of the desired eight): 1.59.7, 1.59.6, 1.59.3, 1.59.7, 2.00.5, 2.00.2, 2.01.4, –.
Workout 2: (Friday)
- Back squat: 73kg – 1×4 (or at least match 72kg) – I ended up doing 74kg which was superb (for me). I do hate the higher rep work. It didn’t feel too bad and at least I managed not to stumble mid-set this time. There’s definitely space to go up a couple of reps again next time.
- Back squat: 59kg – 1x max rep effort (minimum one more rep than workout 1) – well I managed 11 reps but I felt totally trashed by the end of it. This was definitely in the zone of max rep effort.
- RDL: 88kg 3×5 – I had to extend my rest time out slightly but overall this felt a lot easier than 3×4 had felt last week so there are definitely improvements happening.
- Assisted glute-ham raises: Blue band support & full yellow and black slings, 3×6 – this also felt much easier than Monday and I only struggled to get back up on the last couple of reps of the final set. I must be settling to the new effort.
Plan for this week
- Back squat: 78kg – 1×3 (or at least match 77kg)
- Back squat: 59kg – 1x max rep effort (minimum 12 reps)
- Hip thrusts: 120kg rest-pause method (10s rest, minimum 11 reps total)
- Assisted glute-ham raises: Blue band support & full yellow and black slings, 3×7
- Concept 2 intervals: 8x30s (60s rest) – target 1.59.5
- Back squat: 82kg – 1×2 (or at least match 81kg)
- Back squat: 60kg – 1x max rep effort (minimum 8 reps)
- RDL: 88kg 3×6
- Assisted glute-ham raises: Blue band support & full yellow and black slings, 3×8