Another good week in the gym. I’m looking to push my heavy squats up a bit over the next few weeks too, so we’ll see what happens.
Results for last week
Workout 1: (Monday)
- Back squat: 84kg – 1×1 (or at least match 83kg) – 84kg done with ease, I should have chanced on 85kg. Never mind – perhaps I’ll try to do a 2kg jump next week.
- Back squat: 60kg – 1x max rep effort (minimum 9 reps) – I was feeling really good (perhaps it was the light single) so I squeezed out 10 reps.
- Hip thrusts: 122kg rest-pause method (10s rest, minimum 8 reps total) – Well I felt better doing this than I had felt doing hip thrusts the week before, but I did manage 8,4,3 which means the weight needs to go up next week.
- Assisted glute-ham raises: Pink band support & full black sling, 3×4 – in the end I did 3×5, rather than 3×4. It just seemed possible.
Mid-week rowing: (Tuesday)
- Concept 2 intervals: 8x30s (60s rest) – target 2.00.0 – It seems that the more I try to achieve these the worse I get at the moment. Perhaps it was because I did it a day earlier than usual but my times were shocking…: 2.003., 2.00.8, 2.01.8, 2.01.8, 2.01.8, 2.02.4, 2.01.5, 2.03.9
Workout 2: (Friday)
- Back squat: 76kg – 1×4 (or at least match 74kg) – well I managed 76kg and, apart from a careless collapsing stumble on the first rep I felt like there was more in the tank on that one so I might consider pushing it up 2kg again next time.
- Back squat: 60kg – 1x max rep effort – having done 10 reps last time I was amazed to find myself pushing out 12 reps and wondering if there was a thirteenth in the tank (I decided not to try after the twelfth was quite slow). New weight next week!
- RDL: 88kg 3×7 – these proved to be much easier than the 3×7 was with the previous weight and they were popping out without too much trouble, although I did treat myself to an extra 30 seconds of rest after the second set since I was still breathing hard and seeing stars when I was supposed to start my third set.
- Assisted glute-ham raises: Pink band support & full black sling, 3×5 – having done 3×5 last time I did 3×6 this time. I’m finding these tough in a different way though right now I’m finding my kneecaps are the worst bit. Despite kneeling on a cushion I still feel like someone is trying to kneecap me while I go down and back up.
Plan for this week
- Back squat: 79kg – 1×3 (or at least match 78kg)
- Back squat: 61kg – 1x max rep effort (minimum 8 reps)
- Hip thrusts: 124kg rest-pause method (10s rest, minimum 8 reps total)
- Assisted glute-ham raises: Pink band support & full black sling, 3×7
- Concept 2 intervals: 8x30s (60s rest) – target 2.01.0
- Back squat: 83kg – 1×2 (or at least match 82kg)
- Back squat: 61kg – 1x max rep effort (minimum one more than last workout)
- RDL: 88kg 3×8
- Assisted glute-ham raises: Pink band support & full black sling, 3×8