This was a good week but I went away for a couple of days on a walking trip so I didn’t get my rowing intervals done.
Given how they have been going for the last few weeks I think it might have been good to have a full day of walking in the hills instead this week. It has given me a break from the sense that I’m bashing my head against a brick wall when it comes to my rowing.
Results for last week
Workout 1: (Monday)
- Back squat: 79kg – 1×3 (or at least match 78kg) – when it came down to it I couldn’t be bothered to stack the bar up with the 9kg in little plates so I just did 80kg instead. It was seriously tough but I managed it.
- Back squat: 61kg – 1x max rep effort (minimum 8 reps) – a new weight and I went straight in with 10 reps. It felt great.
- Hip thrusts: 124kg rest-pause method (10s rest, minimum 8 reps total) – only 6,4,3 (total 13 reps) this week so I need to stick at 124kg again.
- Assisted glute-ham raises: Pink band support & full black sling, 3×7 – I changed my workout at the last minute deciding to cut back on these (because I hate the kneecap pain I get these days). Instead I am now doing reverse lunges on hip thrust day. Week one was a chance to settle on form so I just used 10kg for 3 sets of 8 reps.
- Concept 2 intervals: 8x30s (60s rest) – target 2.01.0 – I didn’t do this. I’ll see if the week off from them helps or hinders next week. It should hunder but I may have needed a break from it.
Workout 2: (Friday)
- Back squat: 83kg – 1×2 (or at least match 82kg) – well I did 83kg, because I’m stubborn about putting up the weight, but I found the second rep really, really hard. I can’t emphasise how hard it felt. I am now in new territory for doubles.
- Back squat: 61kg – 1x max rep effort (minimum one more than last workout) – another big effort and I completed 12 reps which completes this weight in one week. Super progress!
- RDL: 88kg 3×8 – I was surprised that this didn’t feel heavier, even just on my upper body for keeping the weight in the air for long enough. However, it wasn’t too hard, I felt my glutes working, and I completed it. New weight next week.
- Assisted glute-ham raises: Pink band support & full black sling, 3×8 – I only did 3×7 having swapped Monday’s glute-ham raises for reverse lunges, but even so this was tough. This made up for the super high rep squats and the RDLs feeling not too bad with something really challenging that left me lying out on the mat at the end with exhaustion.
Plan for this week
- Back squat: 86kg – 1×4 (or at least match 84kg) – I’m being brave and adding 2 reps but only if I feel strong on the day – otherwise I’ll go for 85kg.
- Back squat: 62kg – 1x max rep effort (minimum 8 reps)
- Hip thrusts: 124kg rest-pause method (10s rest, minimum 14 reps total)
- Reverse lunges: 20kg – 3×8
- Concept 2 intervals: 8x30s (60s rest) – target 2.01.0
- Back squat: 78kg – 1×4 (or at least match 76kg) – I’m being brave and adding 2 reps again. I think
- Back squat: 62kg – 1x max rep effort (minimum one more than last workout)
- RDL: 90kg 3×4
- Assisted glute-ham raises: Pink band support & full black sling, 3×8